Sunday, December 6, 2009

Top Pics of 2009!!!

I know we have a few weeks left till the end of the year, but I have made my decisions for my favorite albums of 2009. Let me clarify, I do not dare to say these albums are what critics thought were the "best" etc. I think their were many, many great albums this year, these are the top 3 that I cannot stop playing over and over.




FEVER RAY

This album really took me by surprise. Karin Dreijer Andersson is a person I am WAY late on getting to know. She is better known for her electric-dance collaboration with her brother, The Knife. I had heard of The Knife, but let it slip by me. I read many reviews of the Fever Ray album, listened to it on Itunes and didn't get it at first. I finally read so many reviews, I gave in to the hype and purchased it on Itunes. Since then, I have also purchased it on vinyl, and special edition cd. I have went back into The Knife's catalog and picked up two of their albums. I am shamelessly obsessed with Karin. I have not a clue how she slipped by me, but....back to the album. Fever Ray is a multi-media 4 part project: Music, video, live show and album art work. The music on its own is a hypnotic, creepy world of electronic beats, drums and Karin's voice. Highlights of the album are the more upbeat When I Grow Up, Seven and Triangle Walks. Overall the song that haunts me the most is the apocalyptic Keep The Streets Empty For Me. The videos for this album are some of the best I've seen in years. Many people blogged or talked about the video for When I Grow UP(which is fantastic) but it is the video for the album opener If I Had A Heart that truly shows the true mood of the album. The video was directed by the same person that directed the live show that had a short tour in the US this summer. The live show was by far one of, if not THE best live show in a small venue that I had ever seen. Its use of fog, lasers and glowing vintage looking lamps on stage, let us feel as if we were tribal followers to a high priestess. If you have not seen Fever Ray live, please look it up on youtube.com. In November a special edition of the album was released with a live version of the album. Even if you already own this album, it is worth re buying to get the live album and DVD with all the videos. This album is truly by top pic for 2009.


BAT FOR LASHES
TWO SUNS

Two Suns is an amazing follow up to Natasha Khan's last album Fur and Gold. Natasha has taken the best parts of Fur and Gold and expanded on it to create a much more upbeat(in terms of tempo) album. This was a much anticipated album this year and it does not disappoint. Highlights include the infectious dance track Daniel, tribal Sleep Alone and the beautiful Travelling Woman. This is an album that tells us the story of an inner struggle of personality between the true Natasha and her darker side Pearl. Natasha is the earthy, genuine, soft side to Pearl's chaotic, devious, seedier turn. Many journalists focused on the split personality of the "characters" which I think really cheapened the symbolism. I believe Natasha needed to name this side in order to face it and face it down she does. The album has an ark from Natasha/Pearl in New York City and then traveling to the desert and the shore and eventual death of Pearl, to leave Natasha as one again. To truly understand the album, seeing the documentary on the making of it called Two +Two is a must. The doc and many remixes, live tracks, etc have been included in the special edition that came out in the fall. If you are a fan of Bat for Lashes, it is well worth getting again.



NEKO CASE
MIDDLE CYCLONE

I discovered Neko with her last album Fox Confessor Brings the Flood. Since then I have went back and purchased nearly every album she has put out. This album builds on her catalog with another inspiring group of songs. You could call Neko a singer/songwriter, but she is much more. I feel many singer/songwriters create albums of a collection of songs that may or may not connect to one another in theme. Neko clearly has an inspiration or muse when she is writing albums. The muse for Middle Cyclone is nature. The albums opening is one of my favorite tracks of the year, This Tornado Loves You. It is the tale of a sad tornado that falls in love and is determined to create destruction till the object of his affection gives in to his love. It might be the best metaphorical use of lyrics I have heard in years. The songs continue with stories of how dangerous animals have the right to be(People Go A Lot of Nerve), humans own animal instincts(I'm An Animal) and more songs with twisters(Middle Cyclone). The album was recorded partially in a barn in Vermont. Many of natures voices unexpectedly show up in the recording such as baby birds chirping and crickets humming. It is these surprises that truly bring the recording to a higher level. Neko is a crafty lady and this is no exception. I guarantee this album will be riding high on many critics "best of" lists for 2009.

No comments: