Sunday, July 25, 2010

I hate to say it, but I bought the Twilight: Eclipse soundtrack


Yes, its true I bought the Soundtrack to the new teeny bopper vampire flick. This is following a year ago when one of my good friends gave me a burn copy of the New Moon Soundtrack. Say what you will, the books are trashy, the movies cheezy, but the soundtracks hold some good material. Thom Yorke contributed a song to the New Moon Soundtrack, which pretty allowed the rest of us to see the films as an ironic "guilty pleasure" and just enjoy the music. Well, the new soundtrack is no exception. But I will only really speak to two songs on the new Eclipse Soundtrack. Two of my musical obsessions gave tracks to this new soundtrack, Florence and the Machine as well as a duet between Bat for Lashes Natasha Kahn and Beck. I tried to just buy these two tracks off Itunes, but of coarse you had to buy the full album. I just ended up picking it up at Target on a whim. Both of these tracks are amazing, not your normal artist reject tracks that end up on soundtracks. The Natasha Kahn and Beck duet is haunting, beautiful and features a different side to Natasha's voice. She has received comparisons to Kate Bush previously, but this time it is well deserved. Her voice has a much higher mystic quality that lives up to the Kate comments about her. Beck is consistent as always on this track but offers no surprises. I hear that Natasha got along so well with him, he may pop up on her next album. Not sure how I feel about that. Florence's track on the album is equally as good. On this new track she drops the harps in favor of a more sparse industrial sound with heavy drums and beats. It is dark and wonderful. It suites her deep voice quite nicely. If you have a love for these two artists it is well worth picking up the album, even if you do need to hide it in the check out stand.

Here is the Bat for Lashes/Beck Duet "Lets get Lost"

No comments: