Saturday, July 31, 2010

25 years of Purple Rain!!!

Purple Rain turns 25 this year. It seems incredible that it is hitting such a milestone. So many people, including myself, still listen to this album. I remember dancing to this album in my basement when I was a kid, literally going crazy to Lets Go Crazy. I watched the movie over and over learning the hand gestures to I Would Die 4 You. To a 12 year old kid, Darling Nicki was maybe the dirtiest thing I had ever heard and I loved it. Above all of this though was the track When Doves Cry and the video that went with it. Perhaps Princes most Iconic song. This was a true album, every track chosen carefully for a extremely cohesive record. Wendy and Lisa were perhaps the coolest ladies ever, sounding dark and strange on Computer Blues. Around this time I became obsessed with the Prince knock offs as well. Sheila E, Vanity, Appolonia, all of them were so sexy and amazing. This is truly an album that everyone should own. I recently picked it up again on vinyl. It stands the test of time, is a classic and is still current 25 years later.

No comments: