Sunday, March 6, 2011

The Cave Singers, Seattle band with southern soul

The Cave Singers is a band I just kind of came across on Itunes. I was drawn to the name of the band as well as the title of their new album, No Witch. I took a couple short listens and picked it up at my local record store UHF. So glad I did. I am a sucker for that southern soul sound and if it has a bit of Appalachian banjo thrown in, well, I'm all in. The band is from Seattle and consists of members of a few other Seattle bands, Pretty Girls Make Graves, Hint Hint and others. I remember Pretty Girls Make Graves from when I lived in Seattle. PGMG was ok, but I think this band is way better. The sound of the Cave Singers has hints of that Northwest Fleet Foxes sound, but is much less woods and wilderness and much more jamming on the back porch of the shack. It has Folk, blues, bluegrass and even a little mystic feel on the song Outer Realms. This is their 3rd album, so I'm a little late to the party. I'll need to go back and see if I like the other two as much as I like this one. From what I read on Pitchfork(which gave it a 6.5), this is the darkest of their albums. Which is most likely why I love it so much. Here is one of the tracks Swim Club.

1 comment:

Gretchen Sutter said...

yay! We love this band too! We saw them not to long ago with an amazing duo called The Duchess and The Duke, check them out! They are a ton of NW folk-y fun.
xo, G